Managing portfolio spreadsheets can be frustrating, time-consuming, and often inaccurate. In today’s fast-paced and ever-changing business environment, managing a portfolio through spreadsheets is not only outdated but also risky. It’s high time businesses take a new approach by transitioning from manual spreadsheets to an innovative, collaborative platform.
The platform chosen should be intuitive and user-friendly, designed to change the way a team manages business and workflows. It should offer an easy-to-use interface, powerful automation tools, and integrations with other tools the team already uses. The platform should streamline workflows, keep everyone aligned and on track, and ultimately enhance productivity.
But how does a team willing change from their current process to yet another software? The answer lies in establishing success metrics and gamifying the process of accomplishing the ‘why’.
Define Success Metrics
Firstly, establish success metrics that will help the team measure the success of the transition away from manual efforts. Success metrics should be SMART – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time bound. Involving the team in deciding these metrics ensures better buy-in.
Success metrics might include setting SMART parameters for things like:
- Time Savings – How often are deadlines being met, or even early, compared to before?
- Accuracy – What is the improvement percentage on errors and re-dos on deliverables?
- Efficiency – How much has turnaround time improved on decision making?
- Participation – Is user adoption growing at the expected, or better, rate?
Gamify the Accomplishment of the Why
Secondly, gamify the process of accomplishing the ‘why’. Gamifying is a great way to encourage participation and promote healthy competition. People love games because they offer incentive, motivation, and learning. By gamifying the transition away from spreadsheets, the team will be encouraged to participate actively and provide feedback.
Some ways to gamify the process might include:
- Creating a leaderboard: Healthy competition is a great motivator; having the team see where they are in their successes could be a great incentive.
- Setting ad hoc challenges: Setting different/new short-term challenges along the way can encourage the team to engage with the new platform and incentivize them to learn new features and functions.
- Offering rewards: Everyone loves rewards. Offering small rewards for successful completion of specific metrics or goals can be a big win.
Transitioning away from the manual efforts of spreadsheets to a powerful platform that will ensure the team’s portfolio management is a forward-thinking and innovative move – which is good business. Establishing success metrics and gamifying the process of accomplishing the ‘why’ will help the team buy into the transition process and ensure its success. Putting these pieces together ensures next level success.
So, what are you waiting for?